Five years ago, I started this podcast.
Today, as I publish its 179th episode, a lot of things have already happened. In the past few months, avid listeners of the show may have noticed a decline in the episodes I published. So, many are asking, “What happened?”
The reason behind my short hiatus is this: I became part of the online tax-filing service company, Taxumo, two months ago as an independent consultant. Those who learned about this recent change in my career asked a second question: “Are you still a freelancer, Marv?”
This episode is my answer to this question.
If you are a freelancer who has already decided or may still be considering being part of a team, thus shedding your “solopreneur” lifestyle, then I hope you find this episode useful, if not consoling.
Your peers may not immediately understand your move. They may judge you or see your decision as a step back to traditional employment. In this episode, I detail my main reasons for my decision to be part of Taxumo. In the process, I tackled challenges that many—if not all—freelancers face daily and point out how being part of a startup could solve these challenges.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why I joined a local startup company
- How I met Ginger and the beginnings of Taxumo
- How I was introduced to the local startup scene
- The future of startups in the Philippines and why joining Taxumo is a very smart move
- Freelancing and loneliness
- The benefits of being part of something big
- Why FREE is the most important part of “freelancing”
- What’s next with Freelance Blend
- How working with Taxumo will benefit Freelance Blend
“If you believe you have the freedom—free to work with the company you choose to work with, you can work with one, you can work with many—then you’re still a freelancer.”
- Here’s the link to my conversation with Jojy Azurin where I was first introduced to startups: FBP 037: How to Turn Your Idea Into a Startup Business with Jojy Azurin of Freelancer.com
- Here’s the link to my conversation with Ginger Arboleda about Taxumo, the local company I am now a part of: FBP 142: Super Easy Filin and Payment of Taxes for Freelancers with Ginger Arboleda of Taxumo
- To watch other useful Facebook Live replays please visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/freelanceblend. To be notified when I do another Facebook Live call, don’t forget to like the page.
- Watch more freelancing tips and tricks at Freelance Blend TV
- Connect with hundreds of Filipino freelancers and learn more insights at www.freelanceblenders.com