10 months ago, Freelance Blend was just an idea inside my head. The blog, the podcast and the community. All of the concepts and dreams just hovering in my mind while in the shower or before going to sleep.
Then, the idea started slowly to take shape in the next few weeks. 9 months ago, I invited Fitz Villafuerte to be my first interviewee for the Freelance Blend Podcast, not knowing if a person of his stature and influence in the digital space will agree to come to a show that has not even been broadcast on air. To my surprise, he did agree to guest on the show (Episode 1) and the rest is history.
Fast forward to today and Freelance Blend – the blog, community and podcast – has grown substantially, thanks to the help of mentors like Fitz Villafuerte, who give newbies like me the break that we need.
That’s why I am happy to bring back Fitz on the show to talk about his new baby, The Ready To Be Rich Guide to Investing. This is our second consecutive episode that tackles the topic of money and investing because I really believe that Filipinos should seriously consider taking care of their financial well-being. (Last week, we had Jenny del Mundo of Sun Life Financial who talked about The 7 Bright Choices for freelancers.)
Here are the key takeaways from this episode:
- What triggered Fitz to write the book.
- His plans for his second book.
- How to save and invest for minor things like a gadget or a trip.
- Filipinos’ misconception when it comes to investing.
- The 3 steps to financial freedom: Save > Protect > Grow
- The importance of health insurance for freelancers.
- How to break your fear of investing.
- The ROI of the crappiest stock in the Philippine Stock Market.
- How to save for a house.
- Defining how you want to retire.
- What to do with your extra money (for example, bonuses).
- The 3 types of investment goals.
- Fitz’s favorite software and apps for budgeting and investing.
Links and Resources
- Office 365
- Notes (iOS)
- EZ Financial Calculators
- TVM (Time Value of Money) Calculator
- Google Drive
- Google Sheets – to edit Excel spreadsheets from a mobile phone.
- Central Books
“When it comes to investing, it’s not about growing your money. It’s about being able to afford your goals.”
“The higher the risk, the higher the potential gain.”
“Personal finance is personal.”
“Once you are able to design your life, that’s the time you seek investments, instruments and tools that will help you achieve your financial goals. It all starts from you.”
“The right question to ask is: What’s the best investment that will help me achieve my goals.”
Do you want to become a freelancer but don’t know how to start?
Then please attend our “Freelancing for Beginners 1.0” Workshop.
Date: Saturday, August 16, 2014
Time: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Venue: Go Hotels Mandaluyong, 5F Edsa corner Pioneer St, Mandaluyong City (beside Robinsons Pioneer)
To register, please go to www.freelanceblend.com/beginners1.
Special Discount for Freelance Blend members!
Just use the Promo Code: “Blend” to avail of the special rate of P1,000.00 (originally P1,800,00).
Want to win Fitz Villafuerte’s new book, “The Ready To Be Rich Guide to Investing”?
Listen to this podcast episode for the mechanics and input your entry inside the Comment Box below.
Deadline for submission of entries is on August 31, 2014.
You May Also Like