“I believe that every Filipino is worthy and capable of becoming World-Class.”
This banner which appears on Mike Grogan’s website BestOfYou.ph can captivate any Filipino visitor. If that’s not enough, here’s another one:
“I am convinced that we will see a First World Philippines in our lifetime.”
Wow, what confidence in the Philippines coming from a foreigner!
Mike Grogan is an Irish motivational speaker who has been staying here in the Philippines for only about 2 years. Regular listeners of our show will remember him from Freelance Blend Podcast episode 71, where I interviewed him about his experience in applying what he learned from our Personal Branding workshop.
Recently, Mike reached another milestone in his career after successfully launching his book “The Rise of the Pinoy: 7 Powerful Lessons Of Success From 21 World-Class Filipinos” where I was privileged to be featured as one of the world-class Filipinos (pinching myself :-)).
Listen to this episode as I share with you my top 10 takeaways from Mike’s book. Plus you will learn a thing or two about starting your own podcast and turning that into a book like Mike did!
My Top 10 Takeaways From “The Rise of the Pinoy” Book
1. Josh Mahinay of Bag 943 – I find Josh’s story and his company that aims to give school bags to those children in need to be so inspiring!
2. Francis Kong – I was surprised to know that best-selling author Francis Kong was a self-identified introvert like me! His application of the Pareto Principle (20% of the work produces 80% of the results) in his career was very practical.
3. Krie Reyes Lopez of Messy Bessy – Krie helps at-risk youths build their lives by hiring them as workers for her social enterprise, Messy Bessy, that sells all-natural household and personal care products. I dream of having a company like hers one day.
4. Mike Grogan – Of course, the author of the book and his experience in Tanzania is on this list! His story itself is motivational.
5. Anton Diaz of Our Awesome Planet – As big as Anton’s food and travel blog, Our Awesome Planet, is right now, it was very humbling to learn that when Anton was starting, he was whispering, “I’m a blogger”, when people ask him about his occupation.
6. “The worst advice is to follow your dreams. “What you should do is to test your dreams.” This is my powerful takeaway from the book!
7. Ginger Arboleda of Manila Workshops – Ginger proposes that we always start with you “why.” Why should we create this? Why should people invest in this? This philosophy has brought Ginger enormous success in her workshop business.
8. Steve Benitez of Bo’s Coffee – Another takeaway from Bo is this: “Don’t rush into finding your passion. If you can’t find your passion, trust me, passion will find you.”
9. Benjie Abad of Karinderia ni Mang Urot – Benjie established a soup kitchen where he feeds people 3-5 times a week. Some see him as a modern day hero for doing this but here is his answer: “I’m not a hero. It’s reasonable and logical to feed someone in need.”
10. Mark Ruiz of Hapinoy – Mark attributes his success in his daily journaling habit. His writing keeps him motivated, centered, and focused on his daily tasks. He suggests the Day One journal app for doing this.
The ten takeaways I mentioned above is just a small percentage of what you will get from the book. There are still about a dozen more stories to learn from — from Vince Golangco, Issa Cuevas, Rey Bufi, Pocholo Gonzales, Noey Lopez and the rest of the World-Class Pinoys.
Do yourself a favor. Grab yourself copy now. (Did you now that 10% of author royalties will go to Gawad Kalinga?). The book is available in Amazon.com (ebook) and Fully Booked (physical book).
Photos from the “Rise of the Pinoy” Book Launch
Links & Resources
- Help me serve you better. Join the survey at FreelanceBlend.com/survey2016
- FBP 071: Personal Branding Success Story – Mike Grogan of Best Of You Podcast
- “The Rise of the Pinoy” book
Are You Ready to Become a Freelancer?
If you are really serious about becoming a freelancer, you should first start with the tools of the trade.
I will make your life easier by handing you more than 30 of the latest and greatest applications, software and websites that I, and even some of the most amazing freelancers, use on a day-to-day basis to become a more productive freedom entrepreneur.