Location independence is a kind of freedom that digital nomads enjoy. With a laptop and a good internet connection, digital nomads can work anywhere. Some people dream of working from anywhere while others are already living the dream. If you think that it is a far-fetched vision for Filipinos working in offices, think again. More Filipinos are now ditching the usual corporate work in exchange for seeing the world.
Jason Dulay is a Filipino digital nomad currently based in Chang Mai, Thailand. He is the brains behind Work From Home Roadmap, a website meant to help Filipinos jumpstart their career as a freelancer working from home. Just like everyone who has discovered the freedom of working from home, Jason also started out as a disgruntled employee who wanted to get out of the cubicle and travel. In 2010, he discovered online freelance work. He started out as a virtual assistant and now 6 years after, he is traveling the world while working as an SEO and Facebook Ads Expert.
Jason also offers training courses now to help aspiring Filipino freelancers reach their full potential. His inspiring story is proof that the willingness to embark on a journey of self-improvement and the ability to adapt are key to achieving one’s biggest dreams.
I’m honored to interview him on this podcast episode. Watch or listen to this episode where Jason shares his journey as a digital nomad, his tips for newbie freelancers, and advice for those who want to be online entrepreneurs.
WATCH THE VIDEO ON FREELANCE BLEND TV
If you’ve always wanted to see the world but think that your job is holding you back, take note of Jason’s tips and start living your dream.
- How he started as an online freelancer
- Jason’s transformation from being a Virtual Assistant to an SEO Expert
- Learning from your client’s business and improving yourself
- Tips for those who want to be a digital nomad
- Practical advice for digital nomads (budget, cost of living, internet connection)
- How he started his coaching career
- His transition from being a freelancer to an online entrepreneur
- Laying the foundation for an online business
On building an online business:
“If you want to transition from a freelancer to becoming an online entrepreneur, then learn as much as you can while you’re still a freelancer.”
On how to succeed as a freelancer:
“Find your strengths and be a master at it.”
“It’s really tough for newbie freelancers. Your own success will depend on yourself, nobody else. On your perseverance, on your determination, on your [ability] to adapt. . . . It’s really in your hands when you’re a freelancer.”
LINKS AND RESOURCES
- For more tips and tricks for freelancers, subscribe to Freelance Blend TV
- Get Jason’s FREE Course: How You can Work from Home
- Join Jason’s course for VAs: Virtual Assistant Bootcamp
- Join the Work At Home Pinoys Facebook Group
Are You Ready to Become a Freelancer?
If you are really serious about becoming a freelancer, you should first start with the tools of the trade.
I will make your life easier by handing you more than 30 of the latest and greatest applications, software and websites that I, and even some of the most amazing freelancers, use on a day-to-day basis to become a more productive freedom entrepreneur.