I posted last time about the successful 2014 Freelancer Career Kick-off event sponsored by Elance Philippines where I mentioned that lady luck was on my side that day because I won a free training course from Online Jobs University that was worth P4,500!
And my luck extended even after the event because it gave me the opportunity to meet and chat with the founder of OnlineJobsUniversity.com, Coach Genesis Reonico. I discussed with him my plan to donate my prize to the Freelance Blend Tribe (which Genesis is, in fact, also a member of) and asked him to come to the Freelance Blend Podcast to discuss more about his life as a freelancer, his programs and advocacies and at the same time help me select the lucky winner of the raffle (Interested? Please refer to the mechanics below).
Meanwhile, here are the key takeaways from this episode.
- Genesis’ experience as a part time freelancer while working in the BPO industry.
- Why he chose freelancing and leading a Church community over his dream job in IT.
- Genesis’ ups and downs as freelancer.
- What Genesis did as a freelancer and why he only took one client in the beginning.
- How he transitioned from being a web master to an internet marketer.
- How he trained and formed his own web development and online marketing team.
- How he sharpened his blogging skills by enrolling in an online certificate course from DigitalFilipino.com.
- The benefits of enrolling in an online course (even if there are tons of free resources in the web).
- How and why he started his first website, OnlineJobsLifestyle.com.
- What he learned from his blog that led him to create his second website, OnlineJobsUniversity.com.
- The unique selling proposition of Online Jobs University.
- Why he decided to offer the Online Jobs Career Orientation course for free while other training sites are charging for it.
- The 2 skills that he learned as a technical support agent in a BPO company and how he applied it to his online career.
- Freelance Blend’s advocacy.
- The type of mentors freelancers should seek and where to look for them.
- Tips on how to learn freelancing even if you don’t have the money to pay for courses or a coach.
- Genesis’ Partnership with the government, under ICT of the DOST.
- The Next Wave Cities and Virtual Staff Entrepreneur Program of the Philippine government.
- The government’s plan to promote, encourage and support freelancing.
Resources and Links
The Certified Blog and Social Media Enterpreneur Program by DigitalFilipino.com (The course Genesis took that helped him become a better blogger.)
OnlineJobsUniversity.com (Genesis’ Online Training Program)
OnlineJobsLifestyle.com (Genesis’ Blog)
Genesis’ Favorite Books:
“So I left this dream job but in the end, what happened is, I found my dream life. Because I was able to do the things that I really love to do.”
“As freelancers, of course, we all know that we are business owners as well. That’s the mindset that we should have.”
“I believe there is a big opportunity awaiting those who are tired of working as a call centre professional.”
“Having a mentor, especially the right mentor, will really take you places.”
“The main goal of Online Jobs University…is to lead, yung mga nag-uumpisa pa lang, to their very first client, kasi yun yung pinaka-mahirap i-break eh.”
“Once you got your first client and you receive your first pay, from there, you can chart your own course.”
“The government has recognised the fact that there are certain places in the country na hindi kayang pasukin ng BPO and to make their area feasible for livelihood itself….they (government) are considering freelancing or online jobs as an alternative source of livelihood for many skilled people in the countryside.”
Contest: Win an Online Jobs Starter Training Program worth P4,500!
As mentioned during the show, we will select one lucky winner of The Online Jobs Starter Training Program which is worth P4,500. To join, please follow the simple steps below:
- Tell us why you deserve to win The Online Jobs Starter Training Program by writing inside the Comment Box below this blog post (www.freealanceblend.com/11).
- Leave your name and email address in the Comment Box entitled “Speak Your Mind” OR email me at [email protected], indicate your name and send me a screenshot of the Comment Box with your entry.
- Only one entry per person please and no spamming.
- You may send in your entries until April 15, 2014.
- The lucky winner will be announced in the Freelance Blend Podcast and here at FreelanceBlend.com.
Thanks and good luck! See you next episode.
You May Also Like