I recently went to Hong Kong to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and we took the kids with us. It was generally an awesome break from work and business and yet project ideas kept coming during the long commutes we took in the course of the trip. That’s what I love about vacations like these! And that’s what you call the freelance life!
Throughout our time there, I noticed several things about Hong Kong which set it apart from other places, some of which I hope I would see in the Philippines sooner than later. That’s why I thought about recording another “Walang Ganyan Sa Pinas” series featuring Hong Kong.
I did a similar series after I visited the States. You can listen to the three part series through the following links:
As you listen to this podcast episode I want you to remember that we’re electing our next national leaders this summer. Before casting our votes we then have to ask ourselves: what do we want for the Philippines?
My 12 Takeaways From My Hong Kong
- Hong Kong has free WiFi everywhere.
- Hong Kong has a world-class transport system.
- Hong Kong has an earphone culture.
- Hong Kong is a sneaker nation.
- Hong Kong is an Apple country.
- February (just after the Chinese New Year) is the best time to visit Hong Kong.
- Mondays and Fridays are the busiest days in the airport.
- Hong Kong has an “Octopus Card” for public transportation.
- In Hong Kong, cleanliness starts with one person.
- In Hong Kong, walking is a way of life.
- Hong Kong has the longest life expectancy in the world.
- Hong Kong is one of the safest places in the world.
Let’s play a game while you tune in, shall we? While listening to the podcast, try to look for the answers to these trivia questions:
- What’s the estimated longest waiting time in public transport stations in Hong Kong? (Clue: It’s shorter than the waiting time at MRT/LRT.)
- Why is Hong Kong a potential haven for podcasters?
- Why do most people wear sneakers in Hong Kong?
- Why is February the best time to visit Hong Kong?
- What’s the average steps I measured per day while walking around Hong Kong?
Links and Resources
- Get your free Ebook “The Most Awesome Tools and Resources for Freelancers” at freelanceblend.com/awesome-ebook
- Walang Ganyan Sa Pinas – US Edition (Part 1) – freelanceblend.com/17
- Walang Ganyan Sa Pinas – US Edition (Part 2) – freelanceblend.com/18
- Walang Ganyan Sa Pinas – US Edition (Part 3) – freelanceblend.com/19
- Watch videos of my HK trip at freelanceblend.com/tv
Photo Credit: Steve Webel