At the young age of 12, he started learning coding and web design with no formal education – all by just reading books and forums. Friends used to pay him a bottle of coke or a hundred pesos for some help with their coding projects through which he earned around P 5,000 a month – a secret he kept from his parents.
Today, at 27 years of age, Roel Manarang, founder of Tycoon.ph, has worked with more than 170 business worldwide, owns and co-owns multiple businesses in the Philippines and across the globe, runs an award-winning blog, and continues to make money through projects he starts year after year. One of his career milestones was hitting the 1 million-peso mark and finally becoming a young tycoon.
This new podcast episode is probably one of the meatiest, most honest episodes recorded here in Freelance Blend. So tune in and take notes! Being a true hustler, Roel Manarang has tons of experience in freelancing, online entrepreneurship, and blogging and in this episode he discloses A LOT! From his monthly incomes to his personal working processes, Roel didn’t leave anything out and is sincerely happy to share his knowledge.
Tune in to this podcast episode to learn:
- How the passing of Roel’s mother when he was 18 years old turned his life upside down but propelled him to achieve a lot at a very young age.
- How Roel’s blog experiment where he publishes only 4-6 times a month earned him 300,000 monthly views and makes him a minimum of P 25,000 per month.
- How Roel’s first corporate job and his 13th month pay in particular helped him buy 2 computers and start a small computer shop which enabled him to make P10,000 per month and finally support his siblings’ day-to-day life and education.
- How Roel got promoted in his second job from Sales and Marketing Consultant to Marketing Manager because of his obsession with sales and marketing.
- How Roel got promoted in his third job from Customer Service Representative to Web Administrator in just 15 days.
- How Roel finally hit 1 million in revenues in just 3 months.
- How Roel failed in his first team venture and what he learned from it.
- How Roel started Enamtila and Tycoon.ph.
- Roel’s 4 tips for generating more traffic for your blog — the same steps he followed for Tycoon.ph
- Roel’s 10 Tips for freelancers.
- Social proof is important. Clients would like to see if you are walking the talk.
- Hitting 1 million is just a milestone. The journey towards and after that is a roller coaster ride.
- Build your portfolio in just one marketplace.
- If you are an entrepreneur and you are only working 40 hours or less per week, you’re just a part-time entrepreneur. A full-time entrepreneur works 60 hours or more per week. And a millionaire works 80 hours or more per week.
- Article writing is in demand. Content (audio, video, graphics) is the core of online marketing.
- In blogging or content marketing, quality and quantity are both important. But quality should always precede quantity.
Roel’s Top 3 Book Recommendations
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
Links and Resources
- Get 50% off on Roel’s ebook: “Freelance 1k” for a limited time only at roelmanarang.com/freelanceblend
- Roel Manarang’s websites:
- RoelManarang on Facebook: facebook.com/roelmanarang
- RoelManarang on Twitter: @roelmanarang
- Join our Freelancer Meetup on March 31. Kindly register at www.freelanceblend.com/march31meetup
What did you learn from Roel’s story and how can you apply it to your own life as a freelancer, blogger, or online entrepreneur?