For a business to thrive, you have to establish your expertise in the industry. This could be a tough task especially if you are a newcomer but since I’m a solopreneur who can tell you “been there, done that”, I will cut the chase and give you this piece of advice: start a workshop.
Conducting workshops is one of the fastest ways to get the word out about your brand. The good thing about running workshops is you’re not only helping out attendees with the knowledge that you are imparting but you are also growing your business by highlighting your brand’s strength.
Freelance Blend has been here for the last three years and in those years, I have conducted more than a dozen workshops.
To welcome 2017, I decided to share my own workshop preparation practices in this podcast episode. I also recounted how I started my own workshop. Because I was new in the industry and was still learning the ropes of the business, I opted to invite seasoned freelancers as guest speakers and subject matter experts as panelists to my workshop. This way I was able to provide value to the attendees while learning with them as well.
Listen to this episode before you plan for new strategies for the year or it will be even better if you watch the video on Freelance Blend TV to see the slides I’ve shared. Takes notes and follow along!
WATCH THE VIDEO ON FREELANCE BLEND TV:
The thought of conducting your first workshop can be nerve-wracking but if you do the preparations well and follow my tried-and-tested tips, you’ll run a successful (and fun!) workshop.
Here are some of the key points from the episode:
- Why you should conduct workshops
- How to start planning for a workshop
- Identifying who the workshop is for and its purpose
- How to validate a workshop topic idea
- Handling the logistics
- When to consider partnering with an events management company
- How to start promoting your workshop
- Creating an effective sales page
- Quick tip on workshop pricing and wording of fees in the sales page
- Using your online and social media channels to promote (Facebook Groups, Facebook Pages)
- Working with affiliate partners to help promote the workshop
- Investing in Facebook Ads to help spread the word to a wider and highly targeted audience
Do you want your own copy of the slide deck that Marv used during the podcast for your notes? Click the button below to receive your copy.
I’ve shared the things that I do in preparation for a workshop but what do you do on the actual workshop? Watch out for How to Start A Successful Workshop Part 2 where I talk about content and workshop day activities.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
- For more tips and tricks for freelancers, subscribe to Freelance Blend TV
- Want to get a copy of the “How to Start a Successful Workshop” slideshow? Click Here to get a copy of the Slide Deck.
- Emerging Social Media for Marketers Workshop
- Creatives + Entreps Mixer
Are you an entrepreneur or a freelancer? Connect and interact with potential clients or freelancers to work with. Sign up here for Creative + Entreps Mixer on January 12, 2017. Visit the link for more information. Special thanks to our partners, Payoneer and The Study by Enderun.
Are You Ready to Become a Freelancer?
If you are really serious about becoming a freelancer, you should first start with the tools of the trade.
I will make your life easier by handing you more than 30 of the latest and greatest applications, software and websites that I, and even some of the most amazing freelancers, use on a day-to-day basis to become a more productive freedom entrepreneur.