A high-paying job, a beautiful house, and a wonderful family — Ricky Shetty had all of these.
He was living the “suburban dream” in Vancouver, Canada with his wife and three kids. His was a life that many people around the world would envy. But he was missing one thing, the most important thing: happiness.
“Figure out your purpose, your vision, your values, and then figure out if your life is fitting that. If it’s not, time for change.”
These are Ricky’s words, and he lived them. After a careful yet brave reflection, Ricky’s family sold everything and began their journey towards being the first family to visit every country in the world.
Ricky transitioned from being a corporate worker to teaching English as a second language in different countries. Along the way, he discovered blogging and other ways of making money by serving people online.
Today, Ricky Shetty is the owner and the operator of RickyShetty.com, DaddyBlogger.com, and DigitalNomadMastery.com. He is also an ordained pastor, a professional speaker, a business coach, an internet marketer, a five-time Amazon Best Selling Author, and an internet conference producer.
Perhaps, more importantly, Ricky Shetty has found happiness in traveling 81 countries on six continents with his wife and three children.
In this episode of the Freelance Blend podcast, we bring in Ricky Shetty to talk about his family’s amazing journey in pursuing freedom and happiness through a digital nomad lifestyle.
In this episode, Ricky and I talk about:
· How Ricky started out online, including what he saw on the internet which inspired him to take the leap and support his family through it
· The importance of knowing your values and understanding what parts of your life should take precedence over others
· Why considering the values of your partner and your children is critical in making a digital nomad lifestyle work for your family
· The struggles and challenges of living a digital nomad lifestyle
· How Ricky and his wife approached the education of their children while living in different countries
· The importance of trying out the digital nomad lifestyle for a short period of time before making a complete commitment (to see how it affects each individual family member and the family as a whole)
· The three steps to being a digital nomad
· The different models of making money (and saving money) while traveling
· Practical strategies on how to make traveling more affordable
· The importance of frugality and selling stuff that you don’t really need
· The joys of volunteering in local causes while traveling the world
· Why you should start a side hustle while you are still working in your day job
· Why you should read books and what books to read
· The best countries to visit as a digital nomad family
· What the Freedom Summit is all about and how it got started
“Honestly, money isn’t the path to happiness. A lot of people say, ‘When I have enough money I’ll be happy.’ That’s false. You can have all the money in the world but be the unhappiest person in the world.”
“To me, that’s the definition of travel success—not the pictures in the Eiffel tower, not the pictures of us in Machu Picchu in Peru. The definition of success for what we’ve done is: I saw my kids giving toys to the orphans. They got it. They got why we did the decision we did.”
I’m honored to be a guest speaker at Freedom Summit Asia (Philippines) on March 30–31, 2019. There, I’ll be talking how you can work smartly with Filipino freelancers so you can grow your business online. The summit also features other Filipino online influencers as well as speakers from around the world. To learn more about the summit and buy tickets, visit www.FreedomSummit Global.com.
Also, our community will be holding another meetup. We’re now calling it our Freelancers & Entrepreneurs Meetup. It will be held on March 2, 2019, from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. The venue will be the Ground Up Business Solutions space located at Werco Arcade, Lot 18, Dr. A. Santos Ave. (or Sucat Ave.), Paranaque City. It will be the perfect event to meet other freelancers and online entrepreneurs like you for friendship and support. To learn more about our meetup, please visit www.freelanceblend.com/meetupmar2019.
- Check out Ricky Shetty’s popular blog: www.DaddyBlogger.com
- Learn more about how to start living a digital nomad lifestyle at www.DigitalNomadMaster.com (which also features Ricky Shetty’s podcast)
- Learn more about the Freedom Summit and get your tickets at www.FreedomSummit Global.com
- For more about Ricky Shetty, visit www.RickyShetty.com
- Join us for our community’s Freelancers & Entrepreneurs Meetup on March 2nd. For more details, check: www.freelanceblend.com/meetupmar2019
- To watch other useful Facebook Live replays please visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/freelanceblend. To be notified when I do another Facebook Live call, don’t forget to like the page.
- Watch more freelancing tips and tricks at Freelance Blend TV
- Connect with hundreds of Filipino freelancers and learn more insights at www.freelanceblenders.com