CJ’s story is not so different from the many stories of women who turned to freelance after an important milestone in their life: the coming of a child.
Seven years ago, CJ was answering calls and emails in a business process outsourcing (BPO) company when she got the news that she was having her first baby. The excitement and enthusiasm that she felt after giving birth motivated her to find a way to stay at home with her child while at the same time helping her husband make ends meet. This strong desire to balance her motherly duties with earning an income led her to freelance.
Today, CJ Maturino-Cajoles is already a veteran freelancer with over seven years under her belt. She now has three boys, proving all the more that becoming a work-at-home mom is very possible. CJ is also a co-founder of E-commerce Philippines, a community of Filipino e-commerce entrepreneurs. She was featured in ANC’s On the Money program where she talked about the gig economy and drop shipping in the Philippines. Just this year (2018), she also started a local e-commerce business.
ABOUT ONLINE FILIPINO FREELANCERS (OFF)
From all the things that CJ has achieved, perhaps what she is best known for is being the founder of Online Filipino Freelancers (OFF), a Facebook community of over 110,000 members. The community started as a digital hangout for Filipino freelancers back in 2015. It’s a place where Pinoy freelancers would cheer each other up as everyone embarked on what could be a very lonely journey. The community was so successful that it grew from just a handful of members to now a large community being courted by companies who want to promote their brands.
What’s amazing from OFF’s success story is that CJ calls herself an introvert. How did someone so shy become the face of a popular brand? What did she do to create a safe, helpful, and uplifting space for Filipino freelancers? Listen to Freelance Blend Podcast episode 167 and learn CJ’s tips and advice for anyone dreaming to build a successful online community.
In this episode you will learn:
- How CJ views the risks entailed in getting out of traditional employment to pursue freelancing
- How CJ started the Online Filipino Freelancers (OFF) group
- Where CJ believes all content should come from
- CJ’s opinion about the only way you will stand out online
- How Facebook helps active Facebook groups standout
- When using sponsored ads to grow a community might be a wise choice
- CJ’s day-to-day strategy in nurturing the OFF community
- How CJ gained the confidence to finally get out of her closet and be the face of a popular brand
- The future of Facebook groups
- Why CJ decided to start an e-commerce business after many years of freelancing
- What drop shipping is and why it is a highly profitable endeavor for Filipinos
Watch the entire interview with CJ Maturino-Cojales below.
“Provide good content for the audience. Make it very relevant to them that they can really relate. And when you put something as a content, put your heart into it, put yourself, put your own personality.”
- Have anything to ask CJ? Connect with her via email at [email protected]freelancers.com
- Learn more about the Online Filipino Freelancers (OFF) community by visiting their website at onlinefilipinofreelancers.com
- If you’re ready to take the plunge, join the Online Filipino Freelancers (OFF) Facebook group at facebook.com/groups/ElanceOdeskFreelancersPH/
- The OFF community, in partnership with The Global Filipino Investors, is holding its very first conference (OFFCon 2018) on October 13. To learn more about the event and how to get your tickets, check the event page here at: https://offcon.tgfiph.com
- Watch more freelancing tips and tricks at Freelance Blend TV
- Connect with hundreds of Filipino freelancers and learn more insights at freelanceblenders.com